SCVS Core Functions
Swale Community and Voluntary Services is a membership body for the local voluntary and community sector in Swale. Over 40 years the SCVS has grown into a robust, successful and well respected organisation, helping and enabling communities to thrive and flourish.
“Our people have, and will continue to be, our greatest asset and it is they who have taken us to where we are today in an environment where the demands on our services are greater than they have ever been and the resources available to meet them are more difficult to secure.”
SCVS acts as a support and development organisation and exists to champion and strengthen local charities, voluntary organisations and community groups.
SCVS works in partnership with the public sector and the private sector to maximise benefits for the Voluntary and Community Sector.
- provide specialist expertise, information and support and help develop the skills local people need to run successful organisations and groups
- spread good practice, prevent duplication of effort and support joint working
- help groups find funding and make effective use of resources
- promote equality and diversity by fostering a wider understanding of the needs of disadvantaged and under-represented groups
- make sure policy makers understand the needs of local voluntary organisations and community groups
- help public bodies engage effectively with local voluntary organisations and community groups
- provide a forum for local voluntary organisations and community groups
- encourage more people to volunteer and get involved in voluntary and community action.
Specifically in our role as a support and development organisation we focus on five key areas of support.
The organisation supports the identification of needs in the local community and facilitates improvements in service provision to meet those needs.
Services and Support
The organisation assists local voluntary organisations and community groups to function more effectively and deliver quality services.
The organisation facilitates effective communication, networking and collaboration amongst local voluntary organisations and community groups and between local groups and the statutory and private sectors.
The organisation allows the diverse views of the local voluntary and community sector to be represented and supports structures that promotes effective cross sector partnership working.
The organisation ensures the voluntary and community sector’s role as an integral part of local planning and policy making.
To talk to a team member about how we can support you please contact:
Chris White, Director
Julia Watling, Head of Operations